Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > MAIN DISCUSSION > Internet Surveys

Internet Surveys 'Internet Surveys' as a web provider or as an end users' opinions on web related issues such as services, prices, products, management and others that the findings may provide valuable information for your company growth.

Old 21-07-2007, 15:34   #1
LampPC
SGWHT Premium Member

LampPC is on a distinguished road
Any demand for ruby on rails?

We are intending to offer that for our hosting. I wonder how is the demand for ROR?
Address: One Raffles Quay Level 25 North Tower
Tel: +65.61000092
LampPC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-12-2007, 14:29   #2
sljm12
SGWHT Newbie

sljm12 is on a distinguished road
Hmm seems like not much takers for ROR, anyway i just joined the forums and would be interested in loking around for reliable ROR hosting.
sljm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:14   #3
LampPC
SGWHT Premium Member

LampPC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sljm12
Hmm seems like not much takers for ROR, anyway i just joined the forums and would be interested in loking around for reliable ROR hosting.
Personally I am a Ruby developer. We are not providing Ruby yet because the need for application hosting in Singapore is not yet developed.

We have the technology to run the fastest php/Ruby application but yet there is a premium cost to deploy. The performance over our own current web hosting server is something unheard of. This is quite obvious because like the computer, CPU is for general purpose while GPU is for graphics processing, when you host php on a general purpose web hosting server it would not have the same performance as a application hosting server.

Though application hosting is not yet matured yet.
Address: One Raffles Quay Level 25 North Tower
Tel: +65.61000092
LampPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 21:06   #4
Darylngch
SGWHT Senior Member

Darylngch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampPC
Personally I am a Ruby developer. We are not providing Ruby yet because the need for application hosting in Singapore is not yet developed.

We have the technology to run the fastest php/Ruby application but yet there is a premium cost to deploy. The performance over our own current web hosting server is something unheard of. This is quite obvious because like the computer, CPU is for general purpose while GPU is for graphics processing, when you host php on a general purpose web hosting server it would not have the same performance as a application hosting server.

Though application hosting is not yet matured yet.
You would see a huge demand in the US. My US servers are hosted with Rails, and many people are very interested. But, then again, my Singapore clients do not seem that interested in it. Probably you can try to enter the market, but as the US hosters are overselling, and most have high-end servers, thus you might not get such good profits or customers (Unless, you have built a name for yourself there)
Darylngch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 22:56   #5
hanetworks
SGWHT Newbie

hanetworks is on a distinguished road
what can you do wif ROR actually? I only know it's not working with PHP4...
hanetworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:52   #6
alano
SGWHT Senior Member

alano will become famous soon enoughalano will become famous soon enough
The problem with most Singaporeans is the wait-and-see attitude. NCS for example, could have tapped the Linux market a long time ago but they adopted a WAS attitude and only now, they are taking little steps with Linux. Most people will not go for ROR as they want to see it developed first to maturity and only then they will come out in droves. face it. The kiasu and kiasi mentality has a lot to do with decision-making. I have been in this industry long enough to notice that
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 19:15   #7
dotservant.com
SGWHT Newbie

dotservant.com is on a distinguished road
Ruby on Rails isn't as user friendly in terms of locating information and getting things done initially, and this might have contributed to less participation from new webmasters.

And since there are quite some good framework coming out for PHP that is gaining popularity, Ruby on Rails is facing even more competition for gaining new users.
Dotservant.com professional php hosting since 2000
dotservant.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:38   #8
sugiggs
SGWHT Newbie

sugiggs is on a distinguished road
I'm developing web app in PHP and RoR, and to be honest.. not really like it..
sugiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 14:19   #9
rhchia
SGWHT Newbie

rhchia is on a distinguished road
Wonder if things improved after 2 years. I'm a ruby on rails developer looking for hosting. Any recommendations?
rhchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 18:57   #10
190cents
SGWHT Newbie

190cents is on a distinguished road
>>what can you do wif ROR actually? I only know it's not working with PHP4...

ROR (Ruby on Rails) is a open source framework for the ruby programming language. Ruby on Rails is typically integrated with a database server such as MySQL and a web server such as Apache.

>>Wonder if things improved after 2 years. I'm a ruby on rails developer looking for >>hosting. Any recommendations?

Do market analysis and check out the several forums to find out the affordable ROR hosting providers.
190cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 16:15   #11
harky
SGWHT Newbie

harky is on a distinguished road
i looking for it also.. if it is cheap?
i want to install Opal.
harky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:38   #12
geekonetwothree
SGWHT Senior Member

geekonetwothree is on a distinguished road
I only read about it, a few years back RoR seems quite popular, but slowly die down, something like the Perl. I do not think there is a lot of demand now.
geekonetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote